Sunday, May 6, 2012

Video card problem, can you help please?

Hi all, I hope you can help me. There is a problem with my video card but I am not sure what is wrong. It is NVidia Geforce7600GS, my system is Windows XP Professional Service pack 2.

My PC restarts automatically if I try to watch a movie with any of the following: BSPlayer, VLC, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic. I installed a software to test my hardware- it is called Test My Hardware and when I test my video card it gives me an error Is not a valid integer value.

I tried to test the Direct 3D through dxdiag and after I hit the Direct 3D my PC restarted and the resolution was then automatically set to the lowest and when I tried to change it, i could not, it did not give me the option to change at all. I had to restore the system.

If i go to the device manager I see that my video card driver is working properly. Even though it was ok, I went to NVIdia website and tried to update the driver. After I installed the update, it gave me a message that the system could not be modified. If I deinstall the driver and install the new one, it gives me the same message and the system actually does not install any driver at all. So, I ended up restoring the system again to the point where it still had the driver installed.

Everything started a couple of days ago. Firstly, it was only restarting sometimes when I try to start movie, now restarts every time. For your information, I thought Service pack 3 may cause me some problems and yesterday I removed it from Control Panel. It had been installed automatically with Windows Updates. But removing it did not solve my problem.



Please can you help me? Many thanks.|||make sure your not overclocking your processor and have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card that can be downloaded free from nvidea.com



this doesnt however sound like a problem with the graphics card. have you tried playing games to see if the same thing happens?



the graphics card is constantly being used to display the image you see on your desktop so it doesnt make sense that it would only restart when watching movies if it was your graphics card. it is more likely to be a virus or corruption with your windows.



firstly delete test my hardware since its freeware probably full of spyware.



secondly run a virus scan



thirdly (if no virus found or if virus is found and deleted but same problem arrises) put the windows xp disk in and in the bios select primary boot device to cd rom drive. it will then restart and give you a number of options. the should be an option to repair this will scan your installation of windows xp to make sure eveything is correct and should correct any errors.



if none of these work it is a hardware problem but doesnt sound like your graphics card is to blame possibly your RAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment