Friday, April 27, 2012

Video card making my computer crash after a surge.?

We had a power surge a while ago that burned out the power unit on my computer, I finnally got it replaced after like a month. Now, the computer crashes if I play a high-graphics game (which i was able to run perfectly fine before) and reboots itself, then tells me the crash happened bc of the video card. It is updated and changing the device settings caused the computer to automatically crash and restart over and over until I told it to convert back to 'last settings that worked'. What's odd is it only does it about 20 or 25% of the time. What's going on?|||Did you replace the video card after the surge? If not, it may me that it also was slightly damaged. Maybe you could try a new card.|||Check to make sure that your fan on the video card is running. I had one that I had to keep a fan blowing into the box until I replaced it in order to keep it running. If I forgot to turn the fan on it would lock up on me while surfing or playing a game. I have also heard that overheated RAM will cause this too.|||Did you get a powerful enough power supply? When you are pushing your graphics card it draws more power and could be crashing your system.|||I had a similar problem a few years back after my generator got a little excited and decided that 400V was better than 240V. (UK). I had two computers, both lost their power supplies, on one of them(the better one, of course) the chipset literally exploded, the hard drive lasted about another week. The other ran with a new PSU but was always unstable after that. When I looked at it, I realised that all the capacitors on the motherboard bulged out at the top instead of being flat. So all I can suggest is trying your graphics card in another computer to work out if it's the card or the motherboard. I suppose that you could replace the capacitors if they're like mine were if you were inclined to do so but maybe it's time to consider buying a new machine?

1 comment:

  1. Great info.I like all your post.I will keep visiting this blog very often.It is good to see you verbalise from the heart and your clarity
    dell laptop parts | pc graphics card

    ReplyDelete