Sunday, May 6, 2012

Why doesn't my AGP video card work with my motherboards AGP input?

Hey, i've recently upgraded my video card from my Nvidia GeForce 5500 FX (AGP) to a ATI Sapphire HD 2400 PRO (AGP). http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=… - These are the specs for my card and it says that it's AGP 4X/8X compatible.



My motherboards also says "AGP 8x/4x (1.5V)", these are its specs - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum…



This website also says that my card is 1.5v so it should be compatible with my motherboard shouldn't it? http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/… (My video card has the same connectors as the left one)



So when i plug in my new card and turn on my pc all the fans spin (including the one ont he video card) but nothing displays and the fans don't slow down like they normally do once it's started the bios so i figure they're not compatible :S



So far I've,

Reset the bios settings

Changed the bios setting to both AGP and onboard graphics as its default display

Checked the graphics card for dust

Pushed the graphics card as far in as it goes

Checked for an external power connector on the video card (it has none)

Checked if i have enough power going to my video card (Definately - 400W)

Used my onboard VGA port while the video card is in (Same result - no display)

Updated my chipset but that does nothing because the pc won't even power up lol.

Tested my video card on another motherboard (intel), it worked perfectly so the video card isn't stuffed



So from this I think it's just not compatible even though the specs say it should be? If anyone knows why i would appreciate your answer :) TY guys|||Do a Google search for "A7V8X-LA agp" and you'll see your not alone. There are numerous posts by people with the same problem. Early model AGP cards seem to work. That motherboard is quite a few years old.|||Have you removed the drivers for the old card? What about installing the new drivers? Is your mobo Nvidia or ATI-based? Figure this out and you'll be set.|||Cards are the same as memory or ram sticks. If you didn't unplug the PC from the main power source then you might have fried the slot or the whole motherboard... If you did disconnect the power cable from the PC then you didn't do that.

Like the other guy said, the proper way to install a new graphics card is to first with the old card in, uninstall the old drivers from your Add/remove programs control in control panel. Then the computer will restart. When it reaches desktop, shut the system down. Unplug the PC cord and take the AGP card out and install the new card. Now boot the system back up. Install the new drivers for the new card and let the system reboot. When you reach desktop you are ready to go...

If this is the steps you took, you still might have a blown motherboard or bad card. I would put the old card back in and see if it still works. If it doesn't the ram or the motherboard has went out...

No comments:

Post a Comment