Sunday, May 6, 2012

Any way to roll back my video card drivers without going into xp?

I updated my nvidia card drivers and whoops, I can't get into windows now. Not even through safe mode. The computer restarts before I can get there. Ideas?|||Check out his forum, it might help!

http://www.computerhaven.info/forum/tm.a…|||Hello,

As you are not able to enter into the Safe Mode, it is not possible to boot the system.

Booting to the Last Known Good configuration will allow you to recover an unbootable system.

Restart your computer and when you see the flash screen press F8. Choose Last Known Good Configuration and the system will automatically restore the previous version of the device driver. Continue booting and your system should be fine.

If it's not booting, then I am sorry, you need to restore or run repair from the console using the windows XP disk If you need to run repair send me an email by clicking on my avatar that will take you to my profile.|||You should be able to get into Safe mode, it does not load the video drivers and defaults to a plain VGA driver (that's why it is in a 640x480 mode). And, if you computer is rebooting before you even get to the safe mode menu you may be experiencing a hardware problem.



I'd go into the BIOS and use the "fail safe" settings to try to boot first. That may solve the issue if it is hardware related.



Next thing, boot from your XP CD and start installing XP again. Press F8 and accept the agreement, and after the files are copied and it looks for previous installations choose the "repair existing installation" option (not the recovery console). The trade-off in doing it this way is that you will loose all your Windows updates and have to reinstall them again.



Another option is to download a Linux "live disk" and boot from there. That will allow you to roll back your drivers if that is the issue. You can get one here:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment