Friday, May 4, 2012

Video card upgrade and resolution?

I have a Intel® Desktop Board D845PESV motherboard. I want to upgrade my video card(nivida Geforce Fx 5200).

My motherboard states that it supports AGP video format and says it supports a PCI video adpater as well. Does that

mean I can buy a PCI video card? It says this on the form:

How do I designate an add-in PCI video adapter as my primary video adapter?

The primary video adapter can be changed from the onboard AGP to an add-in PCI adapter through the BIOS Setup Utility.

The setting is located in the Advanced screen under Video Configuration.

The reason I want to upgrade my video card is I have two 22inch monitors set up on a dual video card(geforce fx 5200)

and one is running at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and the other one at 1600 x 1024, I want both to run at 1680 x 1050 but

can't get the second monitor to offer the resolution of 1680 x 1050. I updated my nvidia driver but that did nothing.

Is there something wrong with my video card? Do I have to upgrade my video card? If I upgrade my video card will my

dual monitors be able to run a 1680 x 1050 each at the same time?|||There is a lot of potential for driver conflicts and other such issues when you add a PCI video card to an AGP setup. I would avoid it if possible.



Are you sure both monitors are capable of 1680x1050? Perhaps one has a lower native resolution than the other one?



If you want to buy another video card, I wouldn't bother with PCI. I would just upgrade the AGP from that old FX5200.



The highest you can go with AGP would be the ATI Radeon HD3850 AGP. It's a much more recent video card than the nVidia FX5200 (4 years more recent, in fact), and supports the latest DirectX10 and HDCP, so it is more widescreen-aware and might work better.

No comments:

Post a Comment