Thursday, April 26, 2012

[Tech Question: Processors/Video cards]?

I'm using a Dell Windows XP professional Sp2 and i'm planning to upgrade a few hardware but I'm not too fluent with the compatibility aspect.



So as it stands, my computer specs are:

Windows XP Professional SP2

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz (Question regarding processors see 1)

1.00 GB RAM (Planning to upgrade it to 2 Gig RAM)

ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Planning to upgrade)



1. What matters in the end when buying the processors? I've looked at quite a few processors and I'm not sure whether to buy a single or duo core because for example, say you wanted to buy the processor that.. process information more quickly. Do you want the brand with "duo core 2.4Ghz, 2.6GHz etc..? Or do you want to buy a processor with the highest "X GHz". My current processor runs at 3.00Ghz. The "Duo Core runs at 2.4Ghz, but because its duo core (w/e that means) does it run faster than my 3.0Ghz? Mathematically, 3 > 2.4 so my guess is that my processor is faster.



2. I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card since my old one is pretty outdated. Ok all I know about a graphic card is that the more new it is, the better my graphics display will be. The real question is when I purchase my graphics card, will I need to buy any other hardware for compatibility's sake? (Say a new fan, power supply, RAM?) Also, what does it mean for a graphics card or external hard drive to have a "cache".



3. On a graphic card box, it often displays a number. 256MB DDR. can you tell me what this means? I know DDR is a type of RAM and MB is a unit of RAM but is the graphic card's "RAM" related to the computer's RAM? Is that something I need to worry about when updating my GC?



4. Say I wanted to play a game but it requires an updated GC. If I ran the game on my computer, with an old graphics card, will there be damages to my computer? Will the game work?



5. What is overclocking and should I worry about it given my current processor status?|||Id just get a new gaming pc since dell's and hp's are very hard to upgrade

No comments:

Post a Comment